My second week of going to our family was much like the first week, but a little different. We knocked on the door and they came to the door this time. Last time they wouldn't answer and we stood outside for like 15 minutes. We started off again by going around saying our names again. It was a little shaky for them and for us too. They had troubles with my name and Austin's name. We mostly had troubles with the older families names because there were so many the first time we went. When they would get one wrong we would pronounce the name slowly so they could here all the letters. We went over this for a good 10 minutes.
After that we all split up and took some of the family in different parts of the apartment to work with them in small groups. I had the children, which we read a book. I had the youngest niece point out the different pictures that she learned the time before just to see how much she remembered. She pointed out different pictures that I didn't think she would know. The daughter can read pretty well. The bigger words she does have troubles pronouncing, but overall she reads like a piece of cake. She can point to everything I ask her to point to and understands me when she reads a word wrong. She is very helpful with helping the other family members when they don't know something. Towards the end of the book we were reading the dad's brother came over and helped the girls out with some of the pictures and listened to her read. After our book was done I had the daughter go over some of the human parts. I first asked her if she knew any and she didn't. We just went over the basics like arm, wrist, shoulder, and all the face parts. She could remember them after we went over them and pointed to each part. Then I would ask her to point to a part and she would just think for a second then point to the part. Once I thought she had it down I had her write each part down. I had her do this because I wanted her to see the word and be able to point to each part. She could spell most of them but the ones she did get wrong i had her respell three times, so she could see the right spelling. When we were done with that I asked her to practice these all week, so she can get those memorized in case someone asked where a part was.
As I was helping the girls out I was still observing the rest of the family and the our group. I just wanted to see how well they were all coming along. The son was having some troubles remembering the parts of the body, especially the elbow and has a little trouble with reading, but all it takes is practice. The mother is learning fairly quick on her reading. When I listened to her at the beginning of her book she was have troubles with some simple words like with, what, and the. Towards the end she was understanding those words and picking up some others. The dad is just getting better every time we go. He is just positive about learning all these new English words and pictures. As soon as we go he s ready to go and uses words form last time. So, I know he practices all week and helps that he got a job, so he can use all the terms with his work people.
It's just amazing to see how far along this family has come just in three weeks. When we first came some had no idea what a tree was and now they know there outside areas, kitchen, greetings, and colors. They have just put so much effort into learning that they will come along way. The children did know a lot more than the adults, but I think thats because they want to teach them now before it gets to hard. The thing I will always remember is what the dad said " In Nepal they don't teach us English, that's why we wanted to come here." Also, they are still trying to get one more family member to come Nepal.
No comments:
Post a Comment